Under the proposals all hospital births and children’s inpatient services would move to the new specialist emergency care hospital. However, many women and children’s services would still be available at both Epsom and St Helier district hospitals. This includes adult, children’s and neonatal outpatient appointments, Antenatal Day Assessment Unit, gynaecology outpatient appointments, maternity outpatients and scanning and tests.
Most women and children will still receive care and treatment in the same place as they do now. The following women and children’s services would be available at both sites:
- Postnatal care
- Maternity outpatients, including antenatal appointments and scanning
- Gynaecology outpatient appointments
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (EPAS)
- Antenatal Day Assessment
- Children’s outpatient appointments
- Neonatal outpatient appointments
We know that in the future, for clinical and safety reasons, hospital births and inpatient children’s beds have to remain alongside the Emergency Department.