We need to make changes to the hospital services at the Epsom and St Helier hospitals so that we can make sure we can provide high quality, safe services for all patients for the long term.
Investing in both Epsom and St Helier hospitals to provide district services with both hospitals having a 24 hour urgent care centre and having a separate specialist emergency care hospital located at Epsom, St Helier or Sutton would help to make sure that:
- Patients receive the very best care in the right place at the right time
- All of the quality standards can be met
- Patients’ operations are highly unlikely to be cancelled due to an emergency admission
- Waiting times are reduced for our patients across both hospitals
- We can provide much improved facilities for our patients and staff
- We retain and attract the very best doctors and nurses to work at our hospitals
- We can be more efficient with our resources
- We can plan ahead for expected changes in our population, with more people living longer and with long-term conditions
- We can help reduce the time people spend in hospital
- We can continue to have two vibrant hospitals in our areas.
You can read more about the reasons we need to change our hospital services on page in our consultation documents.