NHS South West London and NHS Surrey Heartlands CCGs’ Governing Bodies met in common on Friday, 3rd of July 2020, to consider the Improving Healthcare Together proposals in respect of changes to hospital services in Merton, Sutton and Surrey Downs.
At this meeting, NHS leaders have unanimously approved the following:
- The clinical model for the delivery of district hospital services and the specialist emergency care hospital (SECH).
- Sutton as the preferred option for the location of the SECH, with continued provision of district hospital services in refurbished buildings at Epsom Hospital and St Helier hospitals.
- 24 recommendations for implementation (set out in the Decision-Making Business Case, Chapter 11); and
- The establishment of a Strategic Executive Group and Strategic Oversight Group to monitor the delivery of the recommendations throughout implementation.
Under the proposals, around 85% of current services will stay put at Epsom and St Helier, with six major services being brought together in a new specialist emergency care hospital (SECH), including A&E, critical care and emergency surgery, at Sutton. Patients will also be able to access urgent treatment via urgent treatment centres (one at Epsom Hospital, one at St Helier Hospital and one at Sutton Hospital) which will be open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
This landmark decision of investing £500 million to improve Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust services will provide local residents with the quality of care they need in the buildings and facilities our NHS staff deserve.
The Governing Bodies considered extensive evidence in advance of the meeting including the feedback from the 12-week public consultation which ran from 8th January – 1st April 2020.
You can find out more about this meeting by clicking on the links below.
Papers discussed at this meeting included:
- Paper 1 – Draft minutes of the Committees in Common meeting on 6thJanuary 2020
- Paper 2 – Revised Committees in Common Terms of Reference
- Paper 3 – Decision-Making Business Case – this document brought together all the evidence available to date and formed the basis of the discussions at the meeting. The DMBC helped the committee decide whether to progress with the recommended preferred option for the location of the SECH at Sutton and continued provision of district hospital services at Epsom Hospital and St Helier Hospital.
- Written statements from stakeholders
- Questions received from the public